Having guests over and don’t have anything to serve them? Under pressure to entertain your friends on the weekend? Need to break the ice at your workplace or simply craving a sweet treat? This muffin recipe is here to ease all your woes and more! It is simple and really easy to make. All you need is the ingredients and the willpower.
I never understood people who say cooking is tough. It is only tough if you think it is. Follow your instincts and (of course) the recipe and you will be alright.
- Refined flour – 1 cup
- Soft butter – 1 cup (you can use unsalted butter, it gives a nice flavour)
- Castor sugar – 1 cup
- Diced pineapple – 1 cup (you can use canned or fresh)
- Eggs – 3 whole, free-range
- Black pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Vanilla essence – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon (add only if your butter is unsalted)
For the icing:
- Cream cheese – 100 grams
- Butter – 60 grams
- Icing sugar – 1 and half cups
- Vanilla essence – half teaspoon
- Lemon rind – half teaspoon
- In a large bowl, sieve in the flour, baking powder and salt (if you are adding any).
- In another bowl or blender, mix the soft butter and castor sugar to form a creamy mix. Add the eggs one after the other allowing them to mix completely. Next add the vanilla essence and mix well to get a consistency loose texture.
- Add the mix to the flour bowl slowly, stirring through properly. Do not add water to loosen the batter if it feels a little dry because you will be adding the pineapple.
- Now add the cup of the diced pineapple and pepper powder. You will see that the mix will ease and loosen nicely. The batter is ready to be transfer into the muffin holders.
- Preheat the oven to 185 degrees. Transfer the mix to a non-stick silicon muffin set. You can add cupcake papers at the bottom to make them look prettier. Set the timer to 20 minutes. Check once the time is up, it may need another five-six minutes.
- Alternatively, you can also make this into a cake. It will take about ten minutes for the batter to set. But do keep an eye just in case.
For the icing:
- In a bowl mix the cream cheese and butter together. Slowly add the icing sugar a little at a time so that it mixes completely and doesn’t leave any lumps.
- Add the vanilla essence and grated lemon rind and give it another stir.
- Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before icing the cupcakes.